Nicola Napoli, MD, PhD
Voluntary Research Assistant Professor of Medicine
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Nicola Napoli obtained his MD degree at the University of Palermo, Italy, in 2000; followed by a 2-year fellowship in Geriatrics. In 2002, he joined our division for further training in metabolic bone disease and bone biology, before moving back to Italy in 2006, where he completed his PhD and was then appointed Junior Faculty in the Division of Endocrinology at Campus Bio-Medico University in Rome. In 2008, he was appointed Voluntary Research Assistant Professor of Medicine in our division, based on his scientific accomplishments and continued interactions and collaborations with Washington University faculty. Dr. Napoli’s clinical specialty includes osteoporosis, metabolic bone disease, and diabetes. His research focuses on the effects of diabetes and deranged energy metabolism on skeletal health.
- Reviewer: Bone, Osteoporosis International, Calcified Tissue International, Diabetes- Obesity and Metabolism, Maturitas.
Professional Societies and Organizations
- American Society for Bone and Mineral Research
- Endocrine Society
- European Calcified Tissue Society
- International Osteoporosis Foundation – Scientific Advisory Committee Member
Current Prime Affiliation:
- Junior Career Award, X Annual Meeting of the Società Italiana per l’Osteoporosi e Malattie del Metabolismo Minerale, Brescia, Italy, 2010
- August and Marie Krogh Award, 2009
- Best Clinical Paper, IX Annual Meeting of the Società Italiana per l’Osteoporosi e Malattie del Metabolismo Minerale, Torino, Italy, 2009
- Young Investigator Lecture, VIII Annual Meeting of the Società Italiana per l’Osteoporosi e Malattie del Metabolismo Minerale, Perugia, Italy, 2008
- Young Research Investigator Award, American Society for Bone and Mineral Research, Montreal, Canada, 2008
- Young Investigator Award, 3rd Androgen Excess Society Meeting, San Diego, 2005
- Young Investigator award, 105° Congresso Nazionale della Società Italiana di Medicina Interna, 2004
Dr. Napoli’s research interests focus on pharmacogenetics of osteoporosis, with emphasis on estrogen metabolic pathways, on the effects of bisphosphonates and other pharmacologic agents in osteoporosis, and on the effects of diabetes on bone health. He is also engaged in health advocacy activities in developing countries, in collaboration with other Italian Universities as well as Harvard Medical School.
- Napoli N, Varadharajan A, Rini GB, Del Fiacco R, Yarramaneni J, Mumm S, Villareal DT, Armamento-Villareal R. Effects of polymorphisms of the sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG) gene on free estradiol and bone mineral density. Bone. 2009 Dec;45(6):1169-74.
- Napoli N, Novack D, Armamento-Villareal R. Bisphosphonate-associated femoral fracture: implications for management in patients with malignancies. Osteoporos Int. 2010 Apr;21(4):705-8.
- Napoli N, Pedone C, Pozzilli P, Lauretani F, Ferrucci L, Incalzi RA. Adiponectin and bone mass density: The InCHIANTI study. Bone. 2010 Dec;47(6):1001-5.
- Bizzarri C, Pitocco D, Napoli N, Di Stasio E, Maggi D, Manfrini S, Suraci C, Cavallo MG, Cappa M, Ghirlanda G, Pozzilli P; IMDIAB Group. No protective effect of calcitriol on beta-cell function in recent-onset type 1 diabetes: the IMDIAB XIII trial. Diabetes Care. 2010 Sep;33(9):1962-3.
- Napoli N, Vattikuti S, Ma C, Rastelli A, Rayani A, Donepudi R, Asadfard M, Yarramaneni J, Ellis M, Armamento-Villareal R. High prevalence of low vitamin D and musculoskeletal complaints in women with breast cancer. Breast J. 2010 Nov-Dec;16(6):609-16.
- Rizzoli R, Akesson K, Bouxsein M, Kanis JA, Napoli N, Papapoulos S, Reginster JY, Cooper C. Subtrochanteric fractures after long-term treatment with bisphosphonates: a European Society on Clinical and Economic Aspects of Osteoporosis and Osteoarthritis, and International Osteoporosis Foundation Working Group Report. Osteoporos Int. 2011 Feb;22(2):373-90.