Awards & Leadership
Over the years, the scientific and scholarly contributions by the Division of Bone and Mineral Diseases have been repeatedly acknowledged.
During his long career, our division’s founder, Dr. Louis V. Avioli, received many awards, including the American Society of Bone and Mineral Research (ASBMR) William F. Newman Award and the Endocrine Society Robert E. William Distinguished Leadership Award. ASBMR recognized his lifetime achievements by establishing the annual Louis V. Avioli Founders Award.
Since his passing in 1999, the division’s leadership has carried on his legacy of excellence, earning national awards and appointments in the highest ranks of American professional societies.
- Drs. Pacifici[i], Towler[i] and Civitelli – our three most recent division chiefs – and Dr. Michael Whyte: the prestigious Fuller Albright Young Investigator Award from ASBMR
- Dr. Whyte: Frederic Bartter Award from ASBMR; Henning Andersen Prize from the European Society for Pediatric Endocrinology; John G. Haddad Award from the International Bone and Mineral Society; Richard L. Day, MD Master Teacher Award in Pediatrics from the Alumni Association of the College of Medicine for SUNY Downstate.
- Dr. Teitelbaum: William F. Neuman Award and Gideon A. Rodan Award from ASBMR; Ann Doner Vaughan Kappa Delta Award from the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons; Second Century Award and the Carl and Gerty Cori Faculty Achievement Award from Washington University; Peter H. Raven Lifetime Achievement Award from St. Louis Academy of Science; and the Pieter Gaillard Founders Award from the International Bone and Mineral Society.
- Drs. Avioli and Civitelli: Elizabeth Winston Lanier Kappa Delta Award from the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Dr. Deborah Veis: Alumni Achievement Award from Washington University School of Medicine
Division faculty have also a strong record of service in the leadership of professional societies and advocacy organizations.
- Dr. Avioli: Founding member and first president of ASBMR (1979-80)
- Dr. Teitelbaum: President of ASBMR (1992-93) and of the Federation of American Societies of Experimental Biology (FASEB; 2002-03), Board of Directors of the International Bone and Mineral Society (1992-03) and FASEB (1997-04).
- Dr. Civitelli: Board of Directors (2006-2009), and President of ASBMR (2013-14); FASEB Board of Directors (2015-present)
- Dr. Veis: Board of Directors of ASBMR (2012-15) and the American Society of Clinical Investigation (2011-14)
[i] No longer at our Institution